Throughout the Swiss canton of Graubünden, it is not just cars but also RhB trains that cross valleys and rivers on impressive bridges. One of these is the Langwieser Viaduct between Chur and Arosa: like a majestic triumphal arch, the single-track railway bridge lies 62 metres above the gorge.
The Alpine landscape of Graubünden with its proud cliffs and deep gorges presented engineers with a number of challenges during the building of the first stretches of RhB railway: the 384-kilometre rail network now consists of around 100 tunnels and a total of 592 bridges. The Langwieser Viaduct is one of them – with a length of 284 metres and its large arch, it is one of the most spectacular bridges on the RhB network, alongside the Wiesner and Landwasser Viaducts. It is one of the most significant constructions from the early days of concrete building and gained worldwide attention when it was opened in 1914 as the first railway bridge of its size to be made from reinforced concrete. The Langwieser Viaduct crosses the two rivers Sapünerbach and Plessur in a straight line just after Langwies at a height of over 60 metres. With its main arch spanning 100 metres, the Langwieser Viaduct is the bridge with the longest span in the RhB network.